CHIRLA was formed in 1986 to advance the human and civil rights of immigrants and refugees in Los Angeles; promote harmonious multi-ethnic and multi-racial human relations; and through coalition-building, advocacy, community education and organizing, empower immigrants and their allies to build a more just society.


Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31


"Now you can attend college"

Regardless of your immigration status

As undocumented students graduated from California high schools year after year, not knowing what their future would be without a college education, they realized that there was a need to organize to change that injustice, so that these hardworking students could pursue a higher education regardless of their immigration status. Shortly after Wise Up! was born, and took this on as a campaign by engaging students from all parts of Los Angeles in this struggle. After doing student organizing, and working with other immigrant rights groups, Gray Davis signed AB 540 into law on October 2001, and because of that organizing, now undocumented students have the opportunity to pay in-state tuition at any California college or university, who meet the AB 540 requirements. The law took affect on January 1st, 2002 allowing student to continue on with their higher education.

AB 540

Who Qualifies?

Students who have lived in California:
  • Regardless of immigration status
  • Whether or not in immigration processing
* Given they meet the criteria set forth by law

What are the implications of the law?

As of January 1, 2002, for purposes of tuiton at California's public colleges, undocumented youth will be treated as "residents".

Which Higher Education Institutions?

  • California Junior/Community Colleges
  • California State University
  • University of California

What are the Requirements?

  • Attend High School in California for 3 or more years
  • Graduate from a California High School or receive a GED
  • Register as an entering student or current enrollment at an accredited College or University on or after Fall 2001-2002 academic year
  • File an affidavit with the school

Click para descargar en espanol

Most Recent Update On AB 540